There are many reasons to get married. The question is, are you getting married for the RIGHT reasons? Divorce statistics (click here to visit the marriage statistics page) indicate that more and more people are a) either choosing the wrong partner or b) not investing the time and effort needed into making a marriage successful.
Here is a list of reasons to tie the knot…
1. You have found the love of your life. Your partner is loving, supportive and takes care of your needs. He or she makes you feel important and makes you feel happier. In short, he or she doesn’t don’t suck the life out of you! All joking aside, choosing your your life partner will, quite possibly, impact your journey through this world more than any other decision you make. Choose wisely.
2. You love and accept yourself fully. You cannot fully commit to taking care of another person if you do not love and support yourself first. This means that you’ve effectively dealt with any emotional baggage you bring to the relationship table.
3. You realize marriage isn’t what you see in the movies. You’re willing to put in the hard work needed to make it successful. Don’t just skip over this reason and fool yourself into believing it can’t REALLY be as hard as people make it out to be.
There will be times in every marriage when things seem unbearably hard and one or both partners want to leave. Do you have the fortitude and determination to try everything in your power to save a marriage in trouble?
4. You have discussed important issues with your partner. This means that you’ve been seriously talking about finances, children, infidelity, time apart etc. Mentioning the subject in passing doesn’t count! A sit-down, in-depth discussion is needed.
Realizing you have similar objectives will give you more reasons to get married. Uncovering problems will give you time to work on them before you walk down the aisle. If you haven’t done that yet, take a look at the list of questions to ask before marriage section of this website.
5. You realize that you and you alone are responsible for your own happiness. Too many people get married hoping their partner will fix their lives and make them happy.
Someone else cannot MAKE you happy. That is way too much responsibility to put on your partner and it’s a task they cannot complete. It is totally unacceptable to expect it. Happiness is something we each create for ourselves and, in turn, share with our partners. No one else can fulfil you.
6. You’ve had enough time to grow and mature on your own. Getting married young can work, but creating a successful relationship will require that much more work.
It’s possible to grow apart as you grow up. People who marry later in life are usually secure in who they are and in the direction of their lives. It’s easier to grow with someone at a later stage in life.
Now that we’ve looked at reasons to get married, let’s delve into reasons NOT to marry. xoxo